Our Lady of the Valley
Sts. Peter and Paul and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart parishes merged into Our Lady of the Valley Parish on July 1, 2021. As in our Regional Parish Prayer, we are “learning from our past, and we look with hopeful confidence to our future”. The two parishes that formed Our Lady of the Valley have rich histories of faith and service to others in Reading, Lockland, Evendale, Blue Ash, Amberly Village and beyond.
Sts. Peter and Paul
Bishop John Purcell inaugurated a new parish for Reading in 1850 to serve the mostly German immigrants and their descendants. The first church, The Church of the Fourteen Martyrs, was destroyed by a tornado in 1858. The present building was erected in 1860, and named after the Apostles, Sts. Peter and Paul. A school was built in 1863, and was replaced by a new building in 1906, with a new auditorium dedicated in 1926. In 1939, the Rectory was built and a second floor was added to the auditorium. The current Sts. Peter and Paul “School” building was completed in 1959, and in 1965 ground was broken for a new convent (the present Pastoral Region Office, Notre Dame Hall) for the Sisters of Notre Dame who taught at the parish school.
Our Lady of the Sacred Heart
Our Lady of the Sacred Heart was established in 1874 to serve the English-speaking Catholic residents, mainly Irish immigrants, of Reading, Lockland, Wyoming and Sharonville, as Sts. Peter and Paul was considered a German national parish. The first church was located on Market Street. A one room school was built next to the church. A larger school was built in 1907, and then in 1956 both a new church and school were completed on Columbia Avenue. The parish continued to grow and in 1962 a new church and school were constructed on Siebenthaler Avenue. A convent was built in 1968 for the Sisters of Notre Dame who taught at the parish school. The multipurpose building was erected in 1998.